Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Work

So now that I've been at work for a few days I can tell you all what I've been doing. It's a pretty good job so far. Things have been a little bit hectic b/c we've got 100+ concrete tops to ship out to Room and Board by next week. Once that gets done and the 50+ tops get shipped to New Balance we'll be in good shape and things should slow down.
Last week, saturday, and yesterday I was making molds. Basically It's just a melamine(wooden) box that they use to make square and rectangular concrete tops. For Room and Board these will be sold on their online store and people will be able to match them with all kinds of different bases for tables. The New Balance pieces are going to be the "cash wraps" or the check out podiums. Yesterday before I left I cut cardboard to make boxes with. Since everything is custom and odd shapes we have to make our own boxes. So the raw cardboard is something like 6' x 8' and then gets cut down on this bad boy. Our sliding table saw.
Today I learned how to pack the finished tops in the boxes and spray foam around them and then pack them on the pallets.
The packaging spray-foam is like great stuff on steroids...best thing ever.
My "bosses" are pretty nice and very high energy. I put that in quotes because they don't like to be called that; it makes them feel old. They aren't the type of person that sits behind the big desk and delegates tasks all day. It's great to see both of them back working on the very same things that the rest of us are doing. It shows that they care and aren't above doing the dirty work and it is dirty.
I have also been brushing up on my spanish to communicate better with my co-worker Luis. He is from Mexico and has been in the US for ocho anos (8 years) and lived in Atlanta for most of that time. He has been in Raleigh for a few months and is new to Meld like me. He is a great worker but is lacking in the english department. Pete, my "boss," and I know about the same amount of spanish and do a decent job communicating with him.

As Emily mentioned, I had to change Paige's tire last night. She got a screw in the driver's side rear tire and it had to be replaced with the doughnut spare. It was also a good lesson for the girls in how to change a tire. Although it was a lot easier to do then on the FJ Cruiser, man that sucked.

Well that's what's been going on for now. Work is great and I haven't been working too much. Emily and I are having fun getting back into the swing of things in Raleigh. And the dogs love their new outside pen to play in all day. Yeah, I know I shouldn't start a sentence with and but I wanted to. SO THERE.

1 comment:

Jackie said...

hahaha... sounds fun. I really have to play with the spray foam! Sounds sooo cool. And I love your poor sentence structure. Because I do.