Friday, February 22, 2008

Overdue review of The George


Last weekend Emily, Megan, her friend Matt, and I went to The George on Glenwood. From what I can remember it used to be April and George wine bar. Somehow April was removed from the picture and after some months of closure the place reopened. It has a very similar feel inside. The main difference I noticed was the removal of the lounge areas in favor of tall bar tables.

Like many restraunts on Glenwood South this is a tapas style menu. Unlike other tapas places the theme seemed to be more fresh simple plates instead of the heavy spanish style. This might have been the first time (aside from our rehearsal dinner) that I've actually had everyone share their dishes in the true tapas style. Amongst the four of us we got smoked salmon which was very good. So good in fact that we ordred a second plate. Lump crab cake on spinach which was alright, the crab was just that, crab and a little boring. I also ordered chicken quesadillas which came with a lime infused avocado, very interesting. Their gouda and spinach dip was really good, I am a sucker for any kind of spinach dip. Megan ordered chicken with chopped spinach which I thought was alright, it had the whole freshness thing going for it. Emily ordered a caprese salad which I thought was good. I think she expected a little bit more than what came on the plate but for the prices you really couldn't complain. Megan's other dish was shrimp with sausage and grilled peppers I think. If I remember correctly no one was overly impressed. I believe that covers all the food we ordered but Emily can correct me if I forgot anything.

The wine was pretty good in my opinion. I got a glass of some moderately priced Merlot and Emily got a Rioja. Matt had a Riesling which he seemed to enjoy.

The dessert menu looked really good and also was very moderately priced. We however did not get dessert there because we wanted to show Matt and Megan the Cupcake Shoppe which was enjoyed by all. Emily and I really liked our carrot cake cupcake.

My overall impression of The George was pretty good. While not every dish we got was stellar we only touched on about half the menu. I think there are plenty of great things to eat and drink as well. The prices are very good compared to some other local tapas restaurants. It's definitely worth checking out if you are in the mood for somehting new.

Just for the record my favorite tapas places are still Redroom followed by Humble Pie.

No comments: