"Seek first to understand, then to be understood. Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply. They're filtering everything through their own paradigms, reading their autobiography into other people's lives." -Stephen Covey
i try to take this approach with my students, and i'm so glad that i'm teaching high school again, because i really think they're where my heart lies. middle schoolers are nice kids, but i don't hurt for them the way i do for my high schoolers. these kids just tear at my heartstrings.
but in general, whether dealing with teenagers or just friends, i think this is a pretty good rule to live by.
3 comments:
That is an awesome quote, and so true! I'm sorry you hurt for your kids, but that's because you have a kind heart - they are lucky to have you as their teacher, and I'm sure you are a help to them.
not necessarily a bad hurt or ache though.
I realized a long time ago that most people want to be listened to, but don't want to listen to others. It makes it a burden on those of us who actually do care to listen :) I believe the world would be a better place if people simply would improve their communication skills.
Post a Comment