kind of feel like the chorus to that song is playing in the background of my life sometimes. just when i'm trying to be content where i am, something else comes up to knock me back down.
the thing that's getting to me today is that i try and TRY to be a good teacher, to work hard for my students, to create lessons that are effective, interesting, engaging... to create assessments that value different learning styles, to provide project-based learning, and to do ALL of those good things that they teach us in college. but with the students i have this year, i feel like nothing i do is good enough - no, forget good, i feel like nothing i do is even worthwhile. like i might as well stand up in front of the class, squawk like a chicken, speak gibberish, and then take their papers up as a grade. seriously, they'd probably make about the same amount of sense.
i'm beyond frustrated. i need some encouragement.
or maybe i am just not meant to be a teacher. :-/
4 comments:
What we do is never lost. I believe that even when you can't see it at the time, the good efforts you put forth make a real difference. YOU are worthwhile, regardless of what you do, and I KNOW you are doing a lot of good. Maybe you won't always be a teacher, but be kind to yourself and don't let anyone shake your faith in yourself - I have a saying posted on my computer at work: "Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I'll try again tomorrow." ~Mary Anne Radmacher
thanks, mom.
I agree with your mom. When it appears as though you are not getting through to these kids, they are going to surprise you and show you that all along they've been absorbing the outstanding teachings of Emily Korhonen. I sincerely believe this because I know you and I know the dedication that you have for teaching. I leave you with this quote: "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much" - Mother Teresa
Take care and I hope to see you guys soon.
yeah what they said.
No really-- Just because they are responsive doesn't mean they aren't listening. They have to appreciate having a teacher who is so vibrant and down to earth.
Post a Comment